Our Miracle Treatment for Eczema

My little Pitter Pat has suffered with eczema since she was a baby. And listen, folks, I don’t use the term “suffer” lightly. It has been the biggest source of physical pain and misery she has had in her five years. Her case is especially bad in the summer, though it can flare up in any season. Though the dry air in winter does make it flare, she also has a HUGE reaction to the sunscreen, bug spray, and pool water of summer. Even the sand and salt water of the beach bring on tears of pain, itching, and burning. We have had our fair share of screaming and inconsolability over her eczema, and until now, we haven’t had much of anything with which to treat it. Lotion is okay, but any kind of fragrance only makes it worse. Hydrocortisone clears it up for the moment, but it thins the skin, only making it easier to break out the next time. We’ve tried castor oil, baby oil, Vasoline, Aquaphor, and even Aveeno’s Eczema Therapy cream. They each work in varying degrees to provide a little comfort, but nothing works log-term. As you might imagine, I have done hours of research on the internet, talking to our pediatrician, taking to other parents, and tried each of the many ideas I have gotten from them. Still no real solution.

Until the other day.

I came across the archives of an old chat board for skin issues. It was a LONG archives, but I was desperate after yet another round of tears over burning legs. One entry caught my attention because it was something I’d never tried before.

alt="eczema"

Apple Cider Vinegar for Eczema

The commenter was singing the praises of diluted apple cider vinegar for her child’s eczema. Her story sounded familiar to us, as she’d been through the same battles we have, but she vowed that apple cider vinegar not only treated her child’s eczema, but actually CURED it. Now, I can’t say yet whether it will cure eczema completely, but after trying it, I am also singing the praises of this treatment.

Here’s the deal: Dilute about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with about 3 cups of water. Saturate a cotton ball with the mixture, and apply it to the affected areas. If it is a fresh spot, it’s going to BURN LIKE CRAZY, so be ready to blow on it. However, patches that are a few days old shouldn’t be so bad. Apply it in the morning and again at night. Sure, you’ll smell like vinegar for a while (not too badly), but if you’ve ever dealt with eczema, you won’t care.

Please understand that I am not a medical professional, and this little blog certainly does not give out medical advise. However, I am a mom that has had a miserable child, and I would LOVE to pass on what what worked for us to any other mom out there who has lived with the effects of eczema in their kiddos. If you’ve dealt with this problem and my remedy works for you, I sure would love to hear about it. Just leave a comment or shoot me an email to let me know.

Want to see my treatment for the stomach virus? Check it out here.

Comments

1. I myself have been suffering from eczema since I can remember (32 yrs) and have yet to come across the cure. My eczema cycles for about 8 weeks with 1 week no flare up. Really not long enough to heal any of the old marks from scratching. But for 1 solid week no intense burning, itching and feeling like your skin is crawling…well you can empathize. When I was little my grandfather (a veterinarian) rubbed some ointment on my patches before I had gone to bed one night that I spent by his home and it eased my pain until the next night which by then I was on the train going home. Now I couldn’t remember what it was and my parents never asked either. Last month though I was in Fleet Farm in the animal isle and came across Dr. Naylor Udder Balm. I opened the cover and it looked the same and smelled the same as what my grandfather had used on me 30 some years ago. Bought it, used it that same night on all of my patches (that cover more then 60% of my body) and the next day no intense itching, burning, bleeding and extreme pain. I have to warn you though it does say for “animal use only” “keep from reach of children”. I rotate every third night between Dr. Naylor Udder Balm, coconut oil and homemade brown sugar scrub with extra virgin olive oil. Just this past week I had an apt with derma and he recommended me to start light therapy once a week. This might not give you any hope for cure but treatment of eczema is so diverse with each individual. I wish you and your daughter all the luck and hope for the future and I pray that she grows out of it.

• Christine says:

Hey Melanie,
      I use a product that sounds similar to this one for my excema. It’s called “Vermont’s Original Bag Balm”, it comes in a green tin and you can buy it at Target. It’s very greasy but it is a miracle worker for me!

• Hi I have suffered with eczema for 27 years now since I was born tried everything under the sun as I’m sure you can imagine only now I have
      managed to get a skin specialist to see me (tbh my mum could prob do a better job prescribing me something) I have Been given the usual creams to ease the itching and burning but I am also now on the waiting list to start the light therapy again. I had it when I was about 11 years old but it didn’t really do anything hopefully now I’m older and my body has changed it will help a bit

I am definitely going to try this diluted vinegar solution thanks for the tip I shall let you know how it goes :)

Kayleigh

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

Kayleigh, I certainly do hope it helps you. It sounds as if you have had a terrible time with eczema. Try it for a few days and let me know how you do with it.

• Jeanette says:

You can also just put two cups of ACV in a bath every night. This works really well with children because it doesn’t burn them. Apple Cider Vinegar is the only real cure for eczema.

• My son suffers from this and has since he was about 8mo.old he is now 4. and it has gotten worse i used the Vermonts bag balm and it helped for about a month. Then it didnt work anymore i have used everything i know. Nothing helps. He is miserable!! so much pain,burning,itching. I have found a shampoo in the baby isle called burts bees and it has helped some but as long as i give him a bath in it every night he dont itch as bad,but its still there and he still has the itching and burning. I just tried this vinager and water im praying it helps

• Anonymous says:

My youngest son and I have dealt with the same issue. We use a skin care line by a private company and it’s called renew. It’s natural and has kept us off of steroid creams for 9 years. It’s been life changing! Feel free to email me if you want. Glenjennwhatley@yahoo.com

2. I have heard of this also, but haven’t tried it consistently. My daughter who struggles with eczema is 5 also, and has struggled off and on since she was a baby. Probably about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago, I decided to try the hazelwood necklaces from http://www.hazelaid.com, and they have made a world of difference for her! She wears them constantly and I usually have to buy a new one about once a year. Many types of eczema are caused by too much acid in the body and the hazelwood on this necklace absorbs acid from the body. It took a few weeks of wearing the necklace to start working, but my daughter has only had probably two mild breakouts since then, and I think it was when a necklace started to lose it’s effectiveness and needed to be replaced.

I imagine that is why the apple cider vinegar works also, since it balances the acidity of the body. So glad you have found something to help your daughter. I will keep it in my file for future use also! Thanks for sharing!

3. My daughter has always suffered, as you are describing. Last year I bought a grain mill and now I mill all of our flour and make all of our bread products (loaf bread, rolls, tortillas, etc) and that cured it within 48 hours. Nearly a year of NO excema at all!

• Kendra, what is it about store bought bread and flour that causes eczema? My two sons have it and I’ve been wondering about dietary causes.

• You might want to test them for Celiac! I have a terrible eczema outbreak every single time I get contaminated by wheat. It’s just awful.

• Just had food allergy testing on my son and yes food is a major player in eczema! Which I always knew he broke out with acidic foods, but didn’t know how many other foods were causing it. We went in only for bad reactions to shellfish but now know the other foods causing it. Eggs were causing him a lot of breakouts and I read eggs are a very common allergy with eczema. I have been keeping a food journal on him and can tell other triggers that weren’t on the list.

4. I will have to try this! Crabtree & Evelyn gardeners cream works amazing you should try it!

5. I will try this right away, thank you for sharing. I find coconut oil helps too, of course only for the day, but it does feel better for that time. Thanks again.

6. Carolyn says:

I tried your suggestion and it worked! THANK YOU! Was so nice to be at work and not itching. I’ve passed this info onto everyone I could. Anyone who suffers from Eczema should know about this simple cheap treatment. Bye bye steroid ointment.

• thehillhangout says:

So happy for you, Carolyn!

• For how long is this mixture usable or do I need to make a fresh one every time? Thanks for this tip I just started using it on my daughter!

• thehillhangout says:

I don’t know how long it will last, but we use it until it’s gone. No need to make a fresh solution every time.

• I would love to get your input on this! My daughter will be 2 next month, and has all of a sudden broke out with eczema on both butt cheeks. It is a horrible place to have it, with her diaper rubbing all the time. We have been to numerous doctors, tried a ton of steroid creams, and even antibiotics….and nothing has worked. Do you thing this vinegar would be okay to try on her bottom? I would love to give it a try and for it to work!! Thanks!

• thehillhangout says:

Jesse, I am a mom and not a doctor. I can’t give you medical advice. However, if it was my child, I would stop the steroid creams, as they thin the skin and make it easier for rashes to break out. I would also try the apple cider vinegar trick – just make sure you dilute with water enough that it doesn’t burn. That’s a bad place to feel the burn. Let me know how it works.

• Please ask your doctor about this, but my baby got what I thought was a diaper rash and it turned out to be yeast. The doctor gave me a cream for it and it disappeared in 3 days. The cream will not hurt the baby so it is worth a try even if the doctor is not certain. Do not use cortisone on the baby.

• Jennifer L. says:

@Jesse and Diane: My 18-month-old had a mighty red yeast rash on her bum and I added ACV to the bath water a few times and it went away immediately. I am going to try it again on a rash that she always gets on her chin. I am glad I found this article to remind me how great ACV is in treating skin stuff! :-) Yes–if you have a toddler with a rashy bum, pour some in the tub. It’s a fairly cheap remedy and a 1/4 cup in the bath isn’t going to hurt anything and might just help.

7. I have suffered from eczema for the longest time. And when you say “suffering”, believe me I UNDESTAND. I am 21 years old and am so self conscious because of this annoying condition. I have tried everything like you said and yes they all work some degree. The only thing that has worked for me is prednisone, which is a prescribed steroid! It is awful for your bones and causes them to break down. I am only prescribed it when my eczema is at it’s worse…which sadly happens too often ( i think). So, with that being said I am SOOOO excited to try this and am praying on all the lucky stars it works. Just the other day a girl in class asked me if it was contagious ( how rude) and I wanted to scream. Finally someone understands this pain, even if i’ll never meet you! Thank you thank you thank you. Hope it works for me!

• thehillhangout says:

I pray that it works well for you. It has been great for us.

• I am 22 and have also suffered from severe eczema since I was very young, primarily on my legs and hands. I too am very self conscious about it and struggle to find alternatives to wearing shorts on hot summer days. I will certainly try this remedy and thank you both for sharing. It is nice to know that I am not alone although I often feel like it. Also, I must recommend a gluten-free diet. I was told 8 years ago that what I believed had always been “sever eczema” was actually dermatitis herpetiformus…pretty much an allergic reaction to gluten. Going gluten-free has cleared up about 50% of my eczema, although it is definitely not gone (possible due to false gluten-free labels and poor food regulations, my skin conditions have always been the best whilst abroad). I would still recommend going gluten free to anyone with eczema but will try this remedy for what is still leaving me hiding beneath my jeans in the summertime. Praying for healing. Thanks again for sharing :)

• I am 23 and is suspecting that I have an Eczema as well, I have consulted a doctor but they say I have some sort of allergy (whatever) but my suspicion is getting stronger. I’ve been reading blogs and websites about skin diseases and I am positive with all the signs and symptoms of Eczema. Actually right now I have flares (I believe) and the feeling is awful. My condition started when I used stockings, I was then 16 years old after that the so called flares kept on coming back. My flares are worst when its cold as my skin becomes too dry. I lost confidence with myself as well and my condition is really frustrating. It’s silly how other people laughs at those who have Eczema, as if the sufferer really asked for it. I’ll be seeking another doctor for second opinion. I would like to know what you think about drinking a diluted ACV in water? I have read about that too.

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

I haven’t given my daughter ACV to drink, but I have done it myself. I don’t have eczema, so I cannot comment on its efficacy for treating it, but I do believe that it has many health benefits. I try to use ACV in cooking (especially salad dressings) as often as I can. Hope it helps you.

8. Kindy Fitzwater says:

My Seven year old has has excema since he was a baby so I have tried EVERYTHING. We have tried all the oils and creams suggested by docs, and nothing helps. About a year ago my mother in law was babysitting and tried some stuff called bee bar she used in her cracked feet. It worked better than anything (even steroid creams). I order it online from honey house naturals. It’s a bar u rub on the affected area so its easy, and its completely natural! I’m going to try the apple cider vinegar also. Seems like it may help a lot with the itching. Good luck!!

9. My 7 month old has had eczema for a couple months. After trying all the creams under the sun I decided to cut things out of my diet (since I’m breast feeding) dairy, gluten and eggs specifically. After 4 days the eczema was almost gone!!! I was shocked. I don’t know yet which of the foods is the culprit but it might be both the dairy and gluten. I also started drinking ACV daily. I highly suggest trying diet change.

10. (also not a doctor, “just” a mom also of an allergic kid) This sounds more like treating yeast, and maybe stripping the skin of the soaps and oils that have landed on her skin, trapping the allergens in her own oils. An excematic child is prone to yeast and bacterial infections, which makes it hard to heal from a flare up even when the allergen is no longer on the skin. Vinegar sounds like it 1) eliminates the allergen 2) eliminates the yeasts/bacteria that are growing on the damaged spots, and 3) heals the skin to build resistance against those yeasts etc.. Sounds like apple cider is a great solution, if your child is willing to go through the stinging pain, I wonder if the cider would be therapeutic enough at an even lower amount per cup of water? There were some creams that my son would scream when we put it on. So we basically did antibacterial ointment which did not sting, and after a couple days, the mometasone or triamsinolone would not burn so much…wonder if he would endure the cider better esp if we diluted it more at first until it wasn’t so stingy…food for thought! thank you!

11. I also suffered terribly with eczema for years. My dermatologists through the years gave me creams and ointments, but it never really went away until one day when I was in my early 30s I was treated with a steroid pack for poison ivy. Like a miracle, not only the poison ivy went away, but all traces of the eczema. The great part is I am in my mid fifties now and it has never returned!

12. My fiancée has had horrible eczema all his life, and he’s had that same problem with lotions working for a quick fix, but not long term. I’ll definitely be telling him about this so he can give it a shot. :)

13. My son has had eczema since he was 6 weeks old and he is now 3. His eczema is from the top of his head down to his toes. I also have tried all kinds of different creams/lotions and soaps and nothing had worked. I was told about hazelwood necklaces so I bought one for him and one for his little sister who also has eczema. I have noticed great improvement in both of them and he even says his owies are gone! They have only had their necklaces for two weeks

• I have been fighting eczema now for a little over 4 yrs., since my trip to Haiti in 2010. For the first 34 yrs of my life, I never had an issue. It wasn’t until I came back after 2 months, then that’s when it happened. I have been to every doctor, and it seemed to me that they didn’t know what I had. So I had to use prescribed meds to help it out, it did for a little while. I just don’t know what to do. It itches, burns, and leaks fluid. If those necklaces work for the rash as well as the ACV does, then how do you stop the leakage.

14. Just started trying this, did you use lotion afterwards or no?

15. I am 23 years old and have had eczema my whole life. I find that when the eczema gets weepy (wet) it is a yeast over growth. Apple cider does work, it also works great for dandruff. ( one gallon of water, two cups apple cider vinegar. rinse hair in solution and you will see how much dandruff loosens up and sinks to the bottom)
    I will be trying to take probiotics to help balance the yeast growth on my skin. Coconut oil is also a great source to kill yeast overgrowth. Thanks for the post!

16. I just tried your tip on my 2 year old daughter. She has eczema ever since she was able to eat more solid foods. Ive heard great things from people who use probiotic powder, omega 3 oil and stay away from gluten or wheat. Its been very hard for me to stay away from wheat though as i find its in alot of foods and my daughter loves her bread! I think im going to try gluten free breads and try to stay away from wheat products though. My daughter used to suffer from dry itchy red eyes recently for the past few months. My cousins daughter suffered from the same thing and it went away within in a WEEK of changing our laundry detergent. We use Tide Free and Gentle now and i cant believe how amazing her eyes look now! Never would have thought it was her detergent but glad we found out. God bless everyone. I hope we can all find a cure!

17. Speakaboo says:

I’ve been trying this, but didn’t realize you were supposed to dilute it (duh!) so the eczema totally scaled over and is now dry and patchy and make-up resistant. I look terrible!

One thing that’s always worked well for me in the past is lanolin. You can buy Lanisoh brand, which is marketed as a nipple cream for nursing mothers. Warning – it is messy and sticky. This is definitely a bedtime ritual, unless you don’t mind going out with a sheen on your face! Anytime I’ve used it in the past, it clears everything up within a week. I picked some up to combat the dryness after the apple cider vinegar mishap. I slather it onto the spots at night, and they are MUCH calmer by morning.

I think the ACV works well to “kill” the eczema patch, and the lanolin works really well for clearing up the burning, itchy dryness afterwards, and does NOT sting at all!

• There’s nothing wrong with using undiluted ACV. The only reason to dilute it is to reduce the stinging, but that also reduces the speed at which it works. More stinging = faster healing, in my experience. The ‘scaled over’ is like scabbing, it’s part of the healing process if your eczema was bad/deep/raw enough to need it.

• PS: I also lightly use undiluted ACV for itch relief on other areas of skin that are just itchy, with no eczema-broken skin, and it is actually a bit moisturizing there (and doesn’t sting at all).

18. Interesting. Both of my boys suffer from it, the way it sounds your daughter does. We’ve been using the eucerin and hydrocortisone for really bad flare ups. Like you said, it isn’t a long lasting fix. We have learned that if we apply the eucerin right after they have a warm bath, it works the best for the next 24 hours, because their skin is more absorbent. So, have you noticed if you apply the vinegar after a warm bath it is more effective? I might have to try this out! A miracle would be great! Thank you so much for sharing!

• thehillhangout says:

Hi, Kelli! Yes, we always apply our Aveeno cream right after a warm bath, as the bath itself seems to be a trigger for my daughter. I apply the ACV first and then the Aveeno. However, I apply the ACV at other times as well, and it seems to be just as effective.

19. Eczema can be a very uncomfortable condition to have. We have been investing a lot of time understanding the link between fast food and junk food. We recommend you read it :

It may help prevent flair ups :)

20. Jane Muringe says:

my son hs eczema on his face since last yr. he hs patches on his face which really make him miserable. he scratces himself most of the time. i am going to try the apple cider vinegar for it. thank u for sharing your experience with me. i hope it will help my son too.

21. Tiffany koester says:

Was just wondering how long did it take using this before you saw results or any clearing up of the eczema or any relief? I’ve tried it on my 3 yr old but it seems to be drying it up and making it worse. Just wondering if that was common. If you could email me back that would be great. Thank you

22. Hi there

May I know if it’s ok to use the acv on weeping areas? Also how long do I need to use it before I see results? Ive a 3 month baby with weeping eczema. Thank you

• thehillhangout says:

Dear Yn, as I am not a medical professional, I really don’t feel qualified to give you advice on a baby so young. I would advise you to ask your pediatrician if you should try it. Thank you!

• I try to use ACV as soon as possible on my own bad eczema when a patch opens up, even if it’s still weeping at the time, as I’ve found that the sooner the vinegar gets in there, the faster the healing. But the more raw and weeping it is, the more the vinegar will sting. I apply it undiluted with a q-tip or cotton ball, and it can reeeally sting on the first one or two applications, but then the hypersensitivity is gone and subsequent applications on that area barely sting at all. A couple times a day of this for 2-3 days is usually enough for me to get a patch on the path to healing. The more you dilute it, the less uncomfortable it will be for your baby, but the more treatments/time it will take.

23. Thank you for posting this great eczema cure! I suffer from this in the summer mostly and this will be a great help!

24. I’ve heard of this before, and I’m willing to try it but Im TERRIFIED of the burning sensation that it’s going to give me :(.
    My severe eczema is on my face, and it’s extremley painful. Is it alright if I apply it still? And how much is it going to burn for? – as in minutes-
    Thanks!

• I did try this and it really helped IMMEDIATELY with itch relief. As well I noticed a difference so quickly…the next morning the redness and inflammation was greatly reduced. I too have it all over my face, and even though it did sting, it was SO WORTH IT for the relief. And each time I apply it, it stings less.
      Good luck!

• For me, the stinging was welcome as the itching was driving me nuts. It stings for a minute or two then goes away.

25. I came across your post on pinterest (go figure!) and was eager to try some home remedies for eczema! I’m 24 and have had eczema for as long as I can remember! My ENT used to give me a steriod cream that was supposed to suffice for all areas (around the ears, neck, arms and stomach) but it was a one day cure then it was back the next day and it even caused to the come back worse than it was before! I’m excited to try out this remedy!

I just wanted to share some things I’ve been doing that have helped me: (Note that I am no medical professional, just a girl with experiences that she’d like to share!)

A year ago I went to a dermatologist for the first time and he turned my way of life upside-down! I went from having the one medication to three different ones for different areas of skin (different thickness of the skin granted a different medication) and this cleared up my eczema in a week, but it didn’t cure it. My dermatologist told me to not ever use any soap other than the basic Dove bar and that I was to wash my face with this soap as well (I use a Clairsonic with an acne or sensitive brush head and scrub the bar of soap on it to clean my face and my hormonal acne even cleared up from doing this step!). He took away my bath loufa and told me to use a soft bath cloth to bathe with because the mesh of the loufa will irritate the skin even more and I no longer take hot showers; I take lukewarm showers because the heat can cause inflamtion as well. It was even suggested, that if I could stand it, to take a shower every other day so my skin will learn to not rely on the chemicals from soap and such to remain healthy. He even changed my make-up routine! I no longer use washing detergent with fragrance in it; I’ll use the free-and-clear brands or Borax.

But the biggest and most effective change was the change in moisturzing. You can medically treat eczema all day but the key to upkeep is moisture. I have found that I can skip a few days of applying medications if I keep moisturized. The lotionmy dermatologist told me to use Aquaphor by Eucerin that comes the tub. It has the consitency of vaseline but doesn’t stain like vasaline (my dermatologist took some and smeared it on his nice button down shirt and he promised it wouldn’t stain haha!) and is very moisturizng and I also use the the Eucerin smoothing repair lotion for my hands throughout the day. This brand has no fragrence added to it. I believe this lotion is invincible! Nothing breaks it down off the skin causing you to have to reapply throughout the day. I have lathered up one morning after a shower and gone to work and been out and about after work and the next morning I will still feel moisturized. I have found that the lotion not only helps with moisturzing but it helps with the itching.

Dry skin is genetic in my family. I have a cousin who recently went gluten-free and she has noticed a significant improvement in her dry skin. She doesn’t have eczema, just extremely dry skin (like hands and feet). So that’s my next step to get some relief!

26. I am very happy I found this recipe. The ACV not only has helped my eczema but also my skin in general. I use it on breakouts and it really does make a difference.

Since you shared I will also share, I had been visiting a derm for a few years using multiple ointments/creams/etc and my skin kept getting worse. To the point I was getting infections on my feet from the open, weeping, cracking skin. Finally, I just had enough, stopped going to the derm and started treating myself. I use Neutrogena Fragrance-Free hand lotion. It is cheap around $3.50, thick, doesn’t have a lot of ingredients and it just works. Between that and the ACV mixture I have pretty decent skin. Thanks for sharing.

27. Listen folks, not everyone should exfoliate with anything (natural or not) My daughter has severe eczema, and I mean severe, all over her body, head, face, etc. Exfoliating can set it off and make it far worse, think about it- you’re not suppose to scratch, and many times exfoliating can lead to infection. For my daughter the only cream she can use is Glaxal Base Cream because it is the base all creams, ointmets are made from so there is nothing added. It is the only thing that isn’t burning her skin. She has had it since birth, she is 16 now. If it gets so bad that its raw, weeping, tight, hot- get your child or yourself to the doctor (preferably a dermatologist) do not put it off. My daughter ended up having a bacteria infection all over her skin, sometimes you need antibiotics. It’s a struggle many severe eczema sufferers know well. And diet does count, limit sugar intake, drink a lot of water.

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

Kat, it sounds as if your daughter’s case is miserable. I’m sorry she has to deal with that. I want to make it clear that ACV does not exfoliate the skin. Exfoliation would, of course, remove skin cells and thereby expose more of the raw area. The ACV does not remove skin cells.

28. Hi,

For how many days did you do the apple cider vinegar therapy until your little one was cured.any specific brand of apple cider vinegar do you recommend.Do reply please.
    Rhanks

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

My daughter’s eczema spots were cleared up within a out 3-4 days. I have used various brands of ACC, mostly Heinz. Hope this helps.

29. Thank you for this information! Although I found a few culprits that caused my misery, I will occasionally use a soap ( just one time) that will cause a break out that will usually take a few weeks to completely eliminate. I will try your method!

This may not help all of you, but it may be a source for a few – just want to share:
    After a few years of trying different creams prescribed by dermatologists (usually helped, but didn’t stop the new flare-ups), my mother’s hair stylist provided her with information about soaps and shampoos. This has made a HUGE difference – avoid soaps and shampoos with sodium laureth sulfate. Those with ammonium laureth sulfate are better.

For me, public bathroom soap is the worst, along with Clairol Essence, Irish Spring, Dial, Dove, and the wonderful smelling specialty shop soaps. I can usually feel the problem beginning before I dry my hands or skin. I use Ivory and Pantene, which are much milder. I take my own soap when traveling.

30. Our 3 1/2 year old little boy has been suffering from extreme eczema out breaks since he was a baby. We did the allergy blood test on him and he was allergic to pretty much everything except cod fish. We’ve eliminated peanuts, carrots, corn, eggs, tomatoes and chicken from his diet. He’s been on prednisone and also the steroid cream and while these work while he’s using them the eczema just seems to come back. We’re now trying the ACV. We’re dabbing the 50/50 solution on a cotton ball and rubbing it on the affected areas. However, how long do we need to leave the ACV on the affected areas? We’re on day two of this test and trying anything at this point.

31. Shannon H says:

My youngest peanut is only 9 months old and has been suffering since she was about 3 months old. I’ve never felt so helpless as a parent … Our ped wouldn’t do a allergy test, and won’t prescribe anything because they are hoping she grows out of it :( every time I find something new, it works, I get excited and think I’ve finally found our salvation … Only to have it come right back. My poor baby is covered in this, itches constantly, and can hardly have a moments relief. The one minor victory we have had is that the severity of her rash was greatly reduced when we switched detergents; it’s by no means healed, but at least now she doesn’t have oozing and bleeding …

I’m praying this (and some of the other ideas I’ve read here) works… I’m nervous because of her age, so if anyone has any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated :)

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

Shannon, poor little peanut! I hope it helps. My only advice is dilute, dilute, dilute until you know it’s not going to sting her little body. It might take a day or two longer to heal, but I’d hate for her to have her skin burning. Let us know how it goes.

• Shannon, we dealt with the same thing… We use a company called Melaleuca. They have all the necessities to heal her skin! My youngest son and I had the same problem. We switched our Bath & Body & Laundry line. They have a very thin, unscented lotion called Renew. It’s also very affordable versus store brands or prescriptions. It is also natural, so you are not as likely to get the allergic reaction that you would with store brands. Even if they say “natural” , it doesn’t require much to slap that label on a product! My son also has a skin disorder called Dermagraphia. He deals with quite a bit of discomfort but the switch has made a huge difference and when he does have flare ups, it’s nothing the Renew lotion can’t handle. I’d be happy to pass the info along to you or answer any questions you might have! It’s been a long road for us but thankfully we’ve found our relief!! My name is Jennifer “Swift” Whatley and my email is glenjennwhatley@yahoo.com. You could also find me on facebook! Good luck with the struggle. I really hope you find him some relief soon!

• Yes, Melaleuca is tea tree oil products. Tea tree oil kills yeast and bacteria very effectively when applied to an infected area. A combination of organic apple cider vinegar (with mother) diluted 2 to 1 with distilled water and about 12 drops of tea tree oil (purchased at a health food store, like Whole Foods) will work wonders on flare ups. Unfortunately, this is a curative action – truly the preventative action of changing the diet to eliminate all gluten and sugar is the KEY to ensuring no future breakouts.

32. I used this idea that my mother gave me. At first I thought it was a dumb idea but out of desperation I put it on my scalp and low and behold it toped he itching and got rid of the flakes!!!

33. I have serious eczema on my right hand. It really affects my daily life since I am a right-handed person! I am a teacher but sometimes I can’t even write because of eczema! I am now using coconut oil to cure my eczema, but no luck! I am really curious about the amazing treatment of ACV and have decided to try it! How much ACV should I put on my hand? Have you put on some hand cream for your daughter after using ACV? Thank you so much for your help!

• I get it on my hand as well as I am a cook. I recently tried ACV and lo and behold after 4 days my hand is almost completely healed! After 4 weeks of trying different things. I used a 50/50 dilution with a cotton ball after work/shower and let air dry. During work I use Eucerin – Eczema Relief lotion so no one has to look at the drying skin. But I’ll say by next week I won’t need it at all.

34. Tammi Cruz says:

Facial eczema is the worst! Try Made from Earth’s Three Berry Face Serum. I used to have it all over my face, and its the only face serum that when i applied it would take away the eczema. . .face saver

35. Rhonda Hallstrom says:

Like u we have tried it all and spent thousands on treatments to no luck. How long did u do this treatment and has it lasted or does it come back. Thx for your help.

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

Rhonda, we used it for three or four days. It will occasionally come back and we retreat it the same way. Over time it has become less and less severe.

36. Hi, I have used the ACV unduly toted and it presented peace and tranquility to my face. I have also mixed tea tree oil with sweet almond oil which has also worked perfectly applying as much as needed.

37. Sakinah Carter says:

My daughter has it from her neck down to her toes, and in her scalp. Like you, we’ve tried EVERYTHING. I’ve tried putting some ACV in her bath water, but I don’t think that I put enough in there. I don’t want to burn her eyes. I had one dermatologist tell me she just didn’t know what to do anymore. My current dermatologist is just retrying stuff that’s already been rejected by her skin. Summer is coming and I MUST do something. Will be trying this as soon as i get home. Thanks. God bless.

38. I too have suffered for most of my life with eczema. Mine being Dyshidrosis Eczema ( blisters on the hands) , I have never tried apple cider vinegar but will for sure the next time I have a break out. I have recently discovered that wheat or Gluten was the main cause of my eczema along with detergents & acidic foods. My most favorite moisturizer to use is Mineral Oil, just good old mineral oil. It is odorless, tasteless, and all natural.
    Just thought I would share, Thanks.

39. While I do not have eczema, I do have some skin irritations. So, I started taking It Works Greens – Berry flavor. I have noticed a great improvement. One of my family members does have eczema and has noticed an improvement after taking this also. It is an all natural supplement you add to water, juice or ice tea. It is supposed to alkalize, balance and detoxify. Will add the ACV topically and bet we will feel lots better by alkalizing inside and out.

40. I have it too and discovered in high school that it was from an allergic reaction to dairy! I still consume some but try to limit it and it’s almost gone completely except for a couple mild flare ups throughout the year! Just my experience though and I know everyone’s situation is different but might be worth investigating!

41. Can’t wait to try this on my hands, they are cracked and itchy right now. Thanks so much for posting it!

Also, the Gut and Psychology Syndrome book is a good resource for healing the skin by healing the gut.

42. Barbara Pena says:

Hello… I am a mom of 4 months old baby and the baby Has ezcema too. I am trying This apple vinagret too but that makes his skin dry So my question is What did You use as a moistarizer after the apple vinagret. Thank You

43. Becki Kremer says:

I suffer and I really mean suffer from ezcema since I was born. I’m going to be 27 soon and could use a miracle. I break out in a lot of places, and can tolerate it, but it hate when my face breaks out. I’m really hoping this works for me because I’m the type of person to try homemade solutions over prescribed creams and ointments. Thank you so much for posting this, and I can’t wait to try it!

44. My daughter also has eczema and something we just discovered works very well and is natural. Its a herb salve made from Arnica. I purchase it at a place called Medicine Man in Cherokee, NC.

45. Michelle, RN says:

A few of you have described problems with wearing diapers/ briefs- when my babies were little, the dr told me to wash their bottoms with summers eve feminine wash after every bm and with each shower- it helps restore the oh balance and decreases the skin issues. I appreciate this info on apple cider vinegar as I have family members and patients with eczema- good luck!

46. Hi, I’ve just read this article as I have tried many things to help with my eczema. I’ve grown up with it and still have it at the age of 20. I will defiantly give the apple cider vinegar a try! I was wondering, how long did you use the apple cider vinegar on your daughter for it to start making a difference and eventually clear up?

47. How many times a day do you do this and how long do you soak it for? Or do you just spray it? How many times a day did you spray?

Plz let me know. this ezcema is driving me nuts on my baby. Plz email me as i doubt I will not be back to this page. Thanks

48. When you apply the ACV for the second time in the day, do you rinse/cleanse the area first since you applied moisturizer the first time?

Pls reply or email, I’m desperate!

49. When you apply the ACV for the second time in the day, do you rinse/cleanse the area first since you applied moisturizer the first time?

Pls reply or email, I’m desperate!

50. I was wondering if after applying the ACV you wash it off before applying the moisturizer or you leave it in and then apply the moisturizer. Also does it get really red the first couple of Times You Use ACV before it starts getting better?

Thanks!

51. I had a patch of eczema on my right forefinger recently. Suddenly, one day I noticed it was gone. The only thing I can attribute its disappearance to is an acv tonic I periodically drink. Actually, I hadn’t taken it in awhile. And, the little patch had been on my finger for maybe a month. So, when I decided to finish off my bottle of unfiltered acv –it was not with the idea of treating the patch. I just wanted to finish off a bottle of vinegar that had been setting around for some time. The finger is now smooth in texture with no roughness. The only other thing that may possibly be responsible for my finger’s improvement is Badger face oil which does incredible things for healing skin in general and the face in particular. I’ve been using it for a few weeks now. And, I do typically rub the excess all over my hands once I’ve finished applying it to my face.

52. I’ve had eczema since I was two and have been battling it for 24 years. In the past month I started taking a multi vitamin, fish oil and I drink 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar( I use Bragg’s organic) with 1-2 teaspoons of honey that’s been diluted in about a cup of water (you can add more water) two to three times a day(drink it with a straw) I actually have skin now! No scabs, no raised blotchy red spots and limited itching! If I get really upset I will scratch but otherwise I feel great! I know it might be tough to get your little one to drink it but it’s helped me so maybe it’s worth a shot? Good luck!

53. I am 18 and I’ve suffered with really bad eczema. For years I’ve been using triemcinilone (spelling is probably wrong) its is a greasy oniment, and it works but only for a certian amount of time… I’ll use it fr a week or so and I’ll be clear and then ill flare up real bad in two weeks. I have the type if eczema were it looks like i have scabs… I have gotten the red patches before but it mostly looks like scabs (cluster of scabs that turn into red nasty patches)
    I will most deffinitly try this because I am about to start college in about 3 1/2 months and i dont want to have i be slathering greasy oniment on my body every night. It ruins my pajamas and it would be a little embarrassing doing that and walking through my dorm hall looking all greasy!
    I pray it works! Thanks guys!!!!

54. I was told about this when my now 29 year old was little. Our babysitters mom was a nurse and told me to try it. My daughter had a pretty mild case but she never had it again.
    Thank you for posting, I had forgot about it. My grand daughter suffers terribly from eczema and is on steroid creams so we’ll be trying this again.

55. Thank you for this! My eczema had flared up so badly last week that I literally wanted to peel my own skin off. After a few days of the vinegar is is SO much better, the itching is practically gone and my skin is clearing up. This works so much better than any OTC or steriod cream. Thanks a million!!

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

I’m so glad to hear it worked for you. I know how uncomfortable eczema can be, so I’m happy you found some relief. Thanks for your comment.

56. Does anyone know if this works on sensitive facial skin?

57. How pleased am I that I stumbled on your website. After trying everything I thought I would try apple cider vinegar. WoW WOW WOW is all I can say, aftet just 2 applications the redness gas disappeared and so had the itch. Its just a bit dry and flaky but am sure that will go in a few dsys with the ciconut ol. Thank you soo much x

58. Anonymous says:

Thanks for sharing! I’m having fresh wheatgrass juice about 40ml per day n also taking Dr.Wheatgrass super shots and using the super balm. Have tried oils ,diets for my steroid induced eczema and find wheatgrass is really helping me with the topical steroid withdrawal hell. I also take lactogg a probiotic which is supposed to help w eczema as well. All the best to you and ur bubba, smooth and quick recovery soon!

59. Melanie says:

Just stumbled upon this on pinterest and just tried it on my hands..thanks for the tip!!! I, like many others here, have suffered from bad eczema my whole life (I’m 29) and in the last year my breakouts on my hands have been as severe as I’ve ever experienced, making daily life impossible… Little round, itchy, bumps just under my skin. I’ve been to different dermatologists who continue to just prescribe expensive steroid creams that usually work when my outbreaks are bad but they continue to tell me there is no cure and no way to prevent it. Finally went to a natural health doctor and she’s talking to me about prevention (finally!). I just did a blood test and based on those results there will likely be changes to my diet and overall lifestyle. Thankful that someone is finally helping find a way to control the outbreaks and I highly recommend natural medicine now! Also, in terms of lotions, I like Aveeno but have found that creams work much much much better and HIGHLY recommend Cerave cream, its amazing! Thanks for the post and all the comments that have been left here… It’s comforting to know I’m not alone. Good luck everyone!

60. I’ve just stumbled across your blog post about eczema relief, my daughter has suffered from eczema over 90% of her body since birth, we’ve been through all the steriods and emollient creams available, we’ve wet wrapped and at her worst admitted to hospital and placed on a drip, just like your self things worked well for a period of time….. Then back to square one, I’ve been to buy acv today and we start this treatment tonight, my daughters sixteen soon and is worried about the stinging that might occur, but in the past we’ve found that by applying lotions and creams in a downward motion stops the sting/burn ! Here’s hoping for her sake :)

61. I Just Wanted To Leave You A Lil Note Saying THANK YOU…I Just Started Using 1/2 Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar 1/2 Water …No More Itch And I Can Actually See My Foot Starting To Heal..I Was So Scared To Try But After Reading That You Used This On Your Child I Decided It Has To Be OK…Many Many Thanks To You~!!!

62. cheryl holmes says:

I cannot express how happy I am with this to treat my severe eczema. Ihad it on my face and inside my elbows. After appling acv slighty diluted at first with make pads it slowly reddened and then peeled away!! Do no be afraid to apply it to face. I did and held it there for over 30 min then did not rinse. Apple aveeno for eczema after if needed and re apply the next day. Absolutely fantastic!!!
    Also some diapers can cause rashes for babies maybe switch brands!!
    My face is finally returned!!!ty ty

63. Stephanie says:

I care for a 2 yr. old little one who gets the rashes on both of her cheeks and her chin and sometimes a little around her mouth. I have been caring for her since she was 7 months old and last summer she had the breakouts and it seemed like late fall and winter she didn’t break out at all. Now this summer it is really bad. especially when we are outside. The Eucerin and other special eczema creams help temporarily but then cheeks flare up as soon as she gets her face wet for any reason and she likes to put stuff in her mouth quite often so drool irritates it. Most of the time in the morning she looks ok then it appears as the day progresses and gets really bad if we are playing outside. The one thing I notice is that unlike all the posts I have read on here, she doesn’t seem to be experiencing any discomfort from this at all. Always happy and never cries when anything is applied to her skin. She looks at me like “what are looking at my face like that for?” she is such a little sweetie and I hate to see this on her face. I have had so many people ask me what is on her face or is she ok, when we are out. it looks like it hurts. I worry about scarring too she has mild eczema on other parts of her body and she scratches that a bit but her face is where it gets really red and chapped and the creams don’t really cause it to go away completely. I will suggest this ACV to her mother and I pray that is helps her.

64. In total desperation, like many others, I too am very grateful to come upon this post! My baby broke out with a horrendous, itchy, welted-up rash on his forehead a few weeks after getting his first two teeth (4 months old). Nearly crazy after spending a lot of money on numerous fixes – natural to otc – we found a cream (readily available) called Active Repair Cream https://www.episencial.com/products/active-repair-cream-2oz that is reaaly good. We used cold compresses and applied repair cream then slathered him with un-petroleum jelly (vaseline works same) and that has worked better than anything – but still the itching and agony with flare-ups… I added diluted acv to compresses and immediately saw a decrease in inflammation! Though seemingly drying at first with the follow up of the episencial cream and jelly, the texture and hue of the skin changed; inflammation lessened. We had tried ice cubes of oat baths (etc.!) before and nothing worked like vinegar — incredible! Endless gratitude to you for sharing your story!

65. hi I am 27 and am suffering from to date my most severe eczema. I have had it on and off my whole life. I also am very self conscious about it because even at my age people still stare and have the nerve to look down on you as they ask “whats that ” like you have some horrible contagious disease. im going to try the acv asap and would like to thank everyone for their comments as I can relate!!!! thank you

66. I used to get eczema a few times a year since childhood on my hands and sometimes feet. I think it was food related because ever since I started drinking homemade Kefir water (multiple strains of probiotics) on a daily basis, my eczema has stopped completely. It has been over one year with successful results – until today. I developed eczema on my hands after several hours of sanding and handling an exotic wood, which actually stained my hands. Anyway, it does not feel like the same eczema I am used to getting and appears to be going away quickly. I would highly recommend trying the kefir water to see if it helps your eczema. It’s as simple as adding the Kefir grains (looks like tapioca pearls) to water with sugar and a pinch of Himalayan salt and waiting two days before drinking. You can drink up to 8 oz daily but must start with lower doses.

67. I completely cured my eczema. I used to keep it away by applying Eucerin moisturiser but would return after a couple of days after not using it. So upon a lot of research and carrying out an intolerance food test discovered that foods were the culprit. I cut out gluten, wheat, sugars, caffeine and starches. I stopped eating fruits for a while for the beginning as they are sugars and rice.

You can reintroduce foods one at a time to see if you have a reaction.

But most importantly I started taking the following:
    Spirulina
    Krill
    Flax oil
    Pau D’arco

To really help you look at the candida diet. This works. You don’t need to pay as you can find information on the web.

The major negative is you will get a candida die off period where things get a lot worse as the body is eliminating toxins from the body. But it’s worth it.

This also cures lack of energy, insomnia and stomach upsets.

I hope this helps.

68. My son, 16, had suffered with eczema his whole life. From infancy till about 10, it covered nearly 90% of his body. Now it covers roughly 75-80% of his body. His newest Dermatologist (whom I love just for the questions she asked) told us it is so severe that he will never be accepted into the military. That broke his heart. She also put him on methotrexate. It has helped some, as well as the CeraVe lotion she recommended. He loves the CeraVe. It was specifically designed for atopic dermatitis patients and has no fragrance, nothing that burns his skin-and we’ve tried almost all of it. We’ve even tried the ‘wet wrap’ therapy that just aired in the health segment of our local news last night.
    The problem with eczema is that there are 5 different types and each type presents differently based on causes of the symptoms. My son has all but one of the types and the causes for his break outs are just as varying. At 16 I can’t hold him down to lotion up anymore, he has to do it himself. And, as a 16 year old boy, you can imagine how well that goes.
    We have not tried ACV but it may be the next thing to go in his bath water.

69. Thank you for your blog. Is it safe to use around the eyes? The only place I get eczema is around my eyes (inner corners) and the back of my neck there’s a small patch.

I used steroid cream for about a week and stopped straight away after doing my own research. I now have been using castor oil for the past week and it’s calmed down but I still can’t really wear any makeup etc because it shows really badly.

I hope this works for me. I’m just worried because it’s on my eyelids and the inner corners like on the side of the nose next to the eyes part…. Thanks for your help :)

70. I don’t know if you’re going to read this but it really means a lot to me being a teen(13 1/2) -who struggles with eczema- for you to take time and put this up here for other people who struggle with it. And I know it can be really hard at times to deal with it but just don’t give up. ;)

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

I do read all comments here, Leah. I hope that apple cider vinegar brings you relief from eczema, as I know how frustrating, embarrassing, and annoying it can be.

71. ACV is great for many skin ailments. But if you are looking just for something to apply to eczema then you are probably missing something else. In our daughter, her eczema was a result of an allergic reaction to milk and dairy products. She had it on her scalp, chest, back and sides where she couldnt stop scratching. Creams and lotions were only temporary relief. It wasn’t until we stopped with the dairy products that the eczema went away for good. Totally. Her large rough patches became soft skin again in just a matter of days. So I would encourage each of you to look beyond the lotions and see what you (or your loved one) are eating, drinking, touching and coming in contact with everyday that may be causing your eczema. Consider the most common allergies and see if things change.

72. I have been looking for something to get rid of the eczema on my scalp that has come and gone throughout my entire life. I have used different shampoos from dermatologists, shampoos and other ideas from people who have had it on their skin. I was able to use emu oil a few times, but now it is not working for me. Part of the problem is that it only happens to me living in Florida. I think the humidity keeps my skin moist from sweating so much and it continues to come back. I know it will probably sting like heck, but I am going to try the apple cider vinegar idea. I feel I don’t have anything to lose at this point. I have lost hair due to this condition and it doesn’t grow as much as it used to. I will post if it works for me. My only other choice is to move and stay in a cooler climate……..that is the only time it stayed away.

• Ashley Mills Hill says:

We have used it on the scalp before, and it didn’t burn too terribly. Hope it works for you!

73. Rochelle says:

How many times did you apply throughout the day? My poor son has severe eczema and we have tried everything, I am really hoping this is it.

74. Rochelle says:

Also I forgot to ask before but did the eczema become more red when you applied the acv? Just wondering because when I apply to my son it becomes more red. Thank you

75. Delberson says:

If you take acv orally as well, it needs to be “from the mother”. I have yet to try the acv soak because I am afraid of the stinging which is a bit stupid since the pain is already horrific. I am also adding a magnesium oil spray to my treatment as well but I think this is a long term treatment but it does have a calming effect. Magnesium deficiency can cause skin problems. Will do the elimination diet soon because I am desperate.

76. I am 51 years old, I had horrible eczema all my life until one winter, after having a very bad bout wth bronchitis, my dr tested me for asthma. It was positive and I was prescribed singulair which I began taking. My eczema disappeared and has been mostly gone ever since. (Occasionally I have a small break out on my hands). I have since heard that eczema and asthma are related, not sure, but for anyone suffering with eczema I would check it out. Just an FYI.

77. I am going to try the ACV on ds, thanks. He breaks out covering about 60% of his body and will only heal with steroids which I hate. Not a cure, but pure avocado oil is an instant itch and pain relief for him. I could not find a cream that didn’t cause severe burning so tried it on a whim and it was instant relief

78. My son is 18 months now I breast feed him until he was around 11 months after that he had a small mark on his back and belly almost looked like a ring worm but I new it wasnt. brought him to his dr. They said it lookz like a ring worm after telling them it was seversl times then she said ok then its ezcema which no one in my family have ever had this and it didnt start till he was almost 12 months and has never went away Also mild little read spots on back of his knews and elbows sometime. Using draft and aveeno baby eczema for everything ive never thought it was eczema my child never itches he doesnt even no its there. Have taking him ofg of milk and it lookslike its going away any ideas

Trackbacks